Sunday, March 8, 2020

Foucault's Pendulum

Foucault's Pendulum tags: conspiracies, historical fiction, mystery, satire
Star emoticonStar emoticonStar emoticonStar emoticonStar emoticon

from GoodReads
A superb cerebral entertainment about three editors who cook up a hoax - involving the Templar Knights, Stonehenge, the Cabala, and Brazilian voodoo, among other things - that suddenly becomes all too real.
I read my favorite Eco novel almost 20 years ago and read it a second time this past week to validate my 5-star rating. A GoodReads reader didn't like the book which is perfectly fine, however, he declared on his comment that readers who loved and gave a 5-star rating are pretentious, never really understood the book, and just want to look "intellectual". He is projecting obviously, but why diminish other readers' opinion of the book. It irked me and to that reader: Ma gavte la nata.

I still love the book and maybe even more so after this second reading. It is not an easy book to read with the dizzying amount of information and heavy on foreign languages but it is also fascinating, informative, and often LOL funny.

When I first read it, I haven't read George Eliot's Middlemarch yet and now that I have, I understand and appreciate why Eco chose the name Casaubon for one of the three men who concocted an elaborate story to make fun of and probably to warn people who believe in conspiracies.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment