Saturday, August 22, 2015

Follow You Home

 mystery, "thriller"

Star emoticon

from Amazon.com
It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime, a final adventure before settling down. But after a perfect start, an encounter with a young couple on a night train forces Daniel and Laura to cut their dream trip short and flee home.
Back in London, Daniel and Laura vow never to talk about what happened that night. But as they try to fit into their old lives again, they realise they are in terrible danger—and that their nightmare is just beginning…
Most of the books I read the past 3 months are not good, except for Haruki Murakami's Wind/Pinball (4 stars). The very popular Girl On A Train by British author Paula Hawkins and Follow Me Home by another British writer both got a 1-star from me. I'm wondering what is happening with British authors. They have become more and more mediocre, I'm really missing my favorite authors.

Follow You Home promises to be a psychological thriller but to me is not a thriller at all. The mystery of what happened to Daniel and Laura in Romania was revealed way too late (somewhere at 53% of the book) that I lost interest because the writing is worse than mediocre, as if it's penned by a 5th grader. I'm not kidding. The full "secret" actually is too flimsy a reason for them not to talk about it with anybody and causing an unnecessary death of a friend of Daniel's. Daniel is a wimp and I couldn't understand why he is still pursuing the crazy Laura knowing what really happened to them.The author has watched way too many mystery/crime telly and it shows in his book.

Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment